I realise that I've made a number of decisions about the Accessify Wiki project recently in a uni-lateral manner. I think this was a mistake, so I'd like to try and get the community involved, to assess those past decisions, and to help make decisions in the future.
Who/ how to make collective decisions. And, retrospective decisions:
Criteria for a "committee"? Edit
- Choice of a wiki farm/ choice of Wikia - advantages:
- Based on MediaWiki - PHP, well-known, customizable;
- Someone else looks after hosting, upgrade support - Wikia;
- Someone else looks after business model to fund good hardware/ service (that is, advertising);
- Advertising - distraction/ usability?
- Advertising - may put people off?
- Wikia corporate header/ footer etc. - distraction?
YAML fix formatEdit
- Advantages of YAML:
- human readability; compact/ lean syntax; machine readable; ease of transformation into other formats, eg. JSON;
- Dis-advantages of YAML:
- white-space indentation structure (like Python) as opposed to brace structure (like JSON), may be difficult for screen reader users. Proposed solution - provide JSON transformation in pop out window or similar.
- -- draft, http://accessify.wikia.com/wiki/License
- Split license requirements into a) accessibility fixes, b) other software, c) documentation;
- Access.. fixes - is MIT License appropriate?
- Other software - is MIT License appropriate?
- Documentation - CC-by-sa - as used by Wikia generally;
- Careware/ charityware? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Careware
Tools hosting/ technologies Edit
- Choice of Google App Engine hosting/ Webapp2 framework/ Python language - advantages: